A common web convention is to include your group’s basic contact information, including links to social media accounts, in a site’s footer. The footer is the same on every page of a website, and this information acts like a signature to indicate who is responsible for the site.
Adding footer contact information
- From the left menu of your site’s dashboard, go to Appearance > Customize or, from the black admin bar at the top of any page, click Customize.
- Click Contact Information in the left panel.
- Fill in your group’s information, including relevant social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and Flickr.
- (Optional) Link to a contact page within your site by selecting a page from the dropdown menu. See more on this below.
- (Optional) Type in a label for the contact page link.
- Click Publish.
Linking to a contact page
If you have a lot of contact information, like multiple addresses or phone numbers, or different people to contact for different needs, include only the most basic, or universal, information in the footer, then link to a contact page within your site for the full listing of contact information.
What to label your contact link
Give your contact link a short but descriptive label, like:
- Contact Us
- Hours & Locations
- More contact information
If you’d like to add additional columns of information in the footer, you’ll need to add a widget.
WashU style for phone numbers is XXX-XXX-XXXX. All dashes, no parentheses or periods.
Only link to social media accounts that you post to frequently.