Adding New Users to Edit Your Site
Make people administrators or editors of your website by adding them as users.
Before you can add a new user to your website, that person needs to log into the site with their WUSTL Key. After logging in they’ll see a blank dashboard and won’t be able to make edits. However, they’ve now been added as a user of WashU Sites; all you need to do is upgrade their permissions.
It takes two to tango – and to add a new person to edit your site!
Instructions for the new user
- Go to the website you wish to edit, i.e. sites.wustl.edu/example
- Add /wp-admin/ to the end of the URL, i.e. sites.wustl.edu/example/wp-admin/
- When prompted, log in with your WUSTL Key.
- Notify the site owner that you’ve completed steps 1-3
- Wait to hear back from the site owner that they’ve completed their steps (below).
You should now be able to log into the website using the URL from step 2 above (sites.wustl.edu/example/wp-admin/) and see the dashboard.
Instructions for the site owner
- Wait to receive notice from the soon-to-be editor that they’ve completed their part of the process (above).
- Go to your site dashboard and on the left select Users > Add New
- Under Add Existing User, enter the person’s @wustl.edu email address
- Select the appropriate role (Editor and Administrator are most common; learn about user roles)
- Click Add Existing User
Your new site editor should now be able to log into the website and see the dashboard.
Good to know: If you need to change an existing user’s permissions or delete a user, you can do so by going to Users > All Users.