Adding New Users to Edit Your Site
Give people access to edit your website.
Before you can add a new user to your website, they need to attempt to log in with their WUSTL Key. Though they won’t actually be able to log in, this attempt will create their WashU Sites user account, which allows you to assign them to your site.
Instructions for the new user
You must have a WUSTL Key to edit WashU Sites.
- Go to the website you wish to edit (e.g., sites.wustl.edu/example) and add /wp-admin/ to the end of the URL:
- Enter your WUSTL Key and password where prompted.
Since you don’t yet have access, you will receive an error message to contact your network administrator. However, this login attempt is an important step as it creates your WashU Sites user account, which allows the site admin to grant you access.
- Notify the site owner that you’ve completed the first two steps.
- Wait to hear back from the site owner that they’ve completed their steps (below). When their steps are done, you’ll be able to log into the website using the same URL from Step 1 and see the full editor dashboard.
Instructions for the site owner
- Wait to receive notice from the soon-to-be editor that they’ve completed their part of the process (Steps 1 and 2 above).
- From your site’s dashboard, go to Users > Add New.
- Under Add Existing User, enter their Email or Username (WUSTL Key username).
- For Role, select the level of access they should have to the site. Most new users will be made an Editor or Administrator; you can learn about each role here.
- Click Add Existing User.
- You will know it was successful if you receive a message at the top of the page that says “User has been added to your site.”
- If you receive a message that says “The requested user does not exist,” please check with the user to verify that you have their correct email address or WUSTL Key.
- Notify the new user that they have access to the site! We recommend also sending them the support site: The WashU Web Theme support site has tutorials, training information, and other documentation to help you get started editing WashU Sites.
We know it’s strange that the button says “Add Existing User,” especially when you see “Add New User” right below it. When the new user logged into your site following the steps above, that automatically created their WashU Sites account. This made them an “existing” user that you just need to associate with your site.
Editing User Roles
Manage existing user roles or remove users from your site.