Google Analytics provides valuable insights into how people use your site. Set it up soon as your site launches to start collecting data right away.
Creating a Google Analytics account
New sites & replacements of existing sites without a tracking ID
If you created a new website, or your existing website didn’t have Google Analytics, you need to set up a Google Analytics account before following the steps below. A single Google Analytics account can track up to 50 web properties.
If you need to create a new Google Analytics account, we recommend using a general Google account, rather than a personal account, to do so. If your group doesn’t already have a shared Google account, you can create one using a @wustl.edu email address.
Create or locate your tracking ID
Your tracking code will look something like this: UA-1234567-8.
Replacements of existing sites with a tracking ID
Adding the tracking ID
- In the left menu of your site’s Dashboard, go to Settings > Google Analytics.
- In the text box next to Site Tracking Code, enter the Tracking ID you copied from Google Analytics.
- If you’d like to see your analytics on your website’s dashboard, click the button Login to Google Account and Get Access Code.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes.
- Within a day or so, log in to your Google Analytics account to check that data is being collected. You should see “sessions” (i.e., visits) being reported as of the date you set up your account. Going forward, you can log in to Google Analytics any time to see how your site is performing.